January 3, 2016

Scandal in a Nutshell

Show Name: Scandal (2012-present)
Genre: Drama, Romance, Thriller
Run: 5 seasons (78 episodes as of today)
Running Time: 43 minutes
Network: ABC

Washington, D.C.—home to scandals, the White House, and Olivia Pope. She's the one who makes the problems go away. Ironically, she also creates a few herself. One being a secret affair with the President of the United States...

Posted By:

Millamentary:

So I actually tried watching Scandal last summer with my cousin, but she thought it was boring after one episode, so we moved on. Well, I have to agree with her. The first episode isn't the best. It's mediocre. Actually, it's worst than mediocre. And this is coming from the girl who watched the first episode twice. To plainly put it, the first episode just isn't interesting enough for someone to want to continue watching. Or at least I think it isn't.

But I did choose Scandal for a reason. So I picked it up again last summer and this time without my cousin. (Watching with other people slows me down!!!) I watched the first episode for the second time, and like I've already said, it isn't very entertaining. But I stilled ventured on into the the next episode because I know some shows just start off slow. Thank god I didn't drop it because the next two episodes were GOOD. Great even! This show has some exciting stuff!!

As you can probably tell from the name, this show has a lot of scandals. People have problems, and who do they call? Olivia Pope. Why? Because Liv's good at what she does. She's a fixer. And yes, that's an actual job. But I do believe everyone at OPA (Olivia Pope & Associates) has a law degree. Well, everyone besides Huck. He used to be a spy.

Olivia can really get on a person's nerves. I don't know if others feel the same way, but she certainly gets on mine. She's ridiculously stubborn, and she has this on-and-off relationship with the President (Fitz), and it really annoys me how she's loves him one second, and then she's off with her boy-toy Jake the next. This sounds like some cute love triangle, but it's not. I actually hate Liv with Fitz and Liv with Jake. Liv should be single! Or the writers should bring in a new love interest, but that's highly unlikely.

But even though I find Liv's love life super annoying, I absolutely LOVE the side romances that don't include Olivia. More specifically, I love Quinn and Charlie! They are so freaking cute. It's like a forbidden romance since Charlie is kind of bad guy. It's also like a love-hate type of relationship too. I don't really know how to describe them, but just know they're CUTE. This ship doesn't sail for quite a while though, but you should definitely look forward to them!
Characters:

Olivia Pope: Olivia!!! This girl talks soooooooo fast; it's sometimes hard to keep up. I mean, how does she not get tongue-tied?? I talk fast too, but my words ALWAYS get in a jumble. Anyway, Olivia's very good at fixing problems. Well, I guess she needs to be since it's her job! She and her associates actually have law degrees, but they don't serve as lawyers. (Like I said, they're professional fixers, but the law degree does come in handy in some occasions!) She's basically the epitome of a strong female lead. Fun fact! She also LOVES wearing white and drinking wine and eating popcorn.

Stephen Finch: Stephen works at OPA, and like the other associates, he's very loyal to Olivia. Stephen isn't a very well-developed character since he leaves after season 1. Don't worry though, you won't be heart-broken or anything when he leaves.

Harrison Wright: Harrison coined the term "gladiator in suits" in which he calls the OPA team. He's usually the one to act as the lawyer when a client needs a lawyer. Harrison's also known for being very charming, which makes it possible for him to talk his way out of almost anything.

Abby Wheelan: Abby and Olivia have known each other since law school. Prior to the beginning of the series, Abby was married to an abusive husband until Olivia saved her. Abby is very sassy and judgmental and she's tend

Quinn Perkins: Quinn is my favorite character in Scandal. I really like her personality. She's determined and a little sarcastic.

Huck Finn: "Huck" isn't actually Huck's real name. Huck Finn? Huckleberry Finn? It's from a book! Well, Huck has some major issues. PTSD kind of issues, but it's not like he was a soldier and fought in a war or anything. He was in a top-secret organization called B-613 and was trained to torture and kill people. He's definitely broken.

Cyrus Beene: Cyrus is Fitz's chief-of-staff. He's kind of annoying, but that's just because he loves his country a LOT.

Fitzgerald Grant: The President of the United States and Olivia's love interest (unfortunately). Actually, "love interest" doesn't do their relationship justice. It's way more complicated since Fitz is married.

David Rosen: An Assistant U.S. Attorney. He and Olivia are sort of frenemies. He really believes in upholding the law.

Mellie Grant: Fitz's wife and the First Lady. Mellie is a very strong woman, and I don't mean physically strong.

Jake Ballard: Olivia's second love interest. Again, "love interest" just doesn't feel right to describe their relationship. Friends with benefits with one friend (Jake) deeply in love with the other friend (Olivia) who doesn't feel the same way, maybe?

Meet the Characters:





















Rating:

Plot: 7

Characters: 8

Enjoyment: 7

Overall:

No comments:

Post a Comment