September 13, 2015

Everything, Everything Book Review

Book Name: Everything, Everything

Author: Nicola Yoon

Published: September 1, 2015

Publisher: Delacorte

Genre: YA Contemporary

Posted by:


Blurb:

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I'm allergic to the world. I don't leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla. 

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He's tall, lean, and wearing all blackblack T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can't predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It's almost certainly going to be a disaster.

Lisamentary:

From the beautiful cover to the unique blurb, this book just screamed, "READ ME!!" As soon as it came out, I got my hands on it and read it and am so glad. As rare as Madeline's disease (SCID) is, a book of this quality and concept is as rare. The thing about this book that really topped it off for me is that it even had pictures! Yes, you read right! PICTURES! They're just like the illustrations in children's book typically.

On the same note, Madeline has a very childish writing for a seventeen year old girl. It only emphasizes how young she is at heart.

For the main characters, I can't really choose favorites because I loved both Madeline and Olly and they're even better together. Of course! Madeline, on one hand, is obviously really sheltered since she'd drop dead if she went outside. In contrast, Olly has gone through more than most teenagers with his abusive father and is into parkour. Parkour! However, they were both so brave and strong, taking risk to be with each other. Because,

"Spoiler Alert: Love is worth everything. Everything."

Here's where the title comes from!!

Even though I'm not fond of reading IM messages,  Madeline and Olly's were so cute and fun, especially because Madeline is so naive. 

However, one thing I didn't like about Madeline is that she started ignoring her mom after she started talking to Olly. It's obvious that Madeline is her mom's whole world and it sucks that she's shutting her mom out to chat with him, no matter how much I like Olly. Also, Madeline had to start lying so much to get her way, but that's totally understandable considering her circumstances. 

That leads me too Carla, her nurse. I loved Carla!! She was so sweet, kind, and understanding. She risked her job in order to allow Madeline to have her first chance at love and is like her second mom. She reminds me a lot of the maid, Blanca, in the show Last Man Standing! (This is a really funny sitcom by the way). Here's a picture:


The end was very much a surprise and broke my heart in so many ways. I hope the best for everyone, especially Madeline and her mom. Yet again, I wished more the epilogue was longer. There's barely any closure, so I don't even know if things go my way for sure. But with a book like this, there's next to zip chances for a sequel and the open ending really suits the book anyhow. A short story is really the best hope.

Also, after reading this book, I don't how I can not read The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Being the bookworm Madeline is, I trust her love for this book. And how can you not love a book that means something new every time? It's like reading the book for the first time, no matter how many times you read.

As one of the best books of 2015, I highly, HIGHLY recommend this book to read. The writing was beautiful, effortless, and absolutely intriguing. I couldn't stop reading and the characters were genuine and really resonated with you. You can tell that Nicola Yoon put a lot of effort into make an amazing debut with her pictures and her unique titles and it was well worth it. Loved it!!!

Enjoy!!
Rating:

Story: 10

Characters: 10

Enjoyment: 10

Overall: 

No comments:

Post a Comment